mech·a·ni·cian [noun] [mek-uh-nish-uhn] : a person skilled in constructing, working, or repairing machines;

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Carburetor - Inspection

These carburetors came from a bike that had been standing for a long time.






All of the chrome has rusted


I'm unsure what this spring should be fixed to.




I use these small screwdrivers to pry off the clip. I can get a complete set from the dollar store - so I don't mind using them for jobs like this.


The used worn screws - tells me somebody was here before me - in which case its important to look out for "non-standard changes", and be aware that parts may be misplaced or missing.


This giant spring is slightly rusty - I could perhaps get away with cleaning it up but for 11$ each it's worth replacing.
Something crusty inside I'm not sure what it is.
The slide diaphragm also has an unknown crud - whatever it is I'm trying to avoid touching it and breathing it in.






The spring above the needle is also corroded but at $40 each I might try cleaning this.A Dynojet kit is $64 for both carbs.


This missing washer tells me somebody was here before me
The float bowl reveals more corrosion - serious damage here.




The previous owner complained he was unable to get the bike started - I wonder why?






This float looks like its been repaired - the two bubbles of "stuff" are curious. The pin is also corroded.
Once the bubbles of goop are removed - it all falls apart.








Keep each carb in it's own box with all is own parts


The diaphragm has a locating notch.









3 comments:

  1. Dad says possible solution to cleaning carbs. houshold cleaning chemicals eg. cillet bang or oven cleaner might do the job

    ReplyDelete
  2. How difficult is it to find these smaller more obscure parts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whats up my brother...Depends on the bike but there are a lot of small companies thankfully making carb repair kits and in some cases you can still find New Old Stock (NOS). I usually use http://www.z1enterprises.com/ for the obscure stuff or www.bikebandit.com still has many parts available. However for some parts you have to get creative - so for the rusted choke tubes (4 photos up from bottom) I hade to find a supplier that made steel tube the correct size and make my own.

      Delete